Woman arrested in train shove death


A 30-year-old woman is being questioned by police, accused of pushing another woman to her death in front of a train in New York.
The younger woman is said to have shoved a 49-year-old woman into the path of an oncoming train at a busy subway in the Big Apple.
The pair were seen arguing immediately before the incident.
According to witnesses at the station, the suspect had been involved in a heated argument with the victim.
They said when she was led away by police officers, the alleged perpetrator appeared ‘proud’ rather than looking contrite.
The incident took place at the busy station on the junction with Times Square and 42nd Street.
The victim is understood to have been standing on the platform when the suspect, who witnesses say was dressed in a pink shirt and scarf, pushed her.
Police say she was shoved onto the tracks in front of a southbound train.
While emergency services were immediately called, including paramedics, nothing could be done to save the victim, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officers immediately apprehended the 30-year-old suspect, who was still in the station.
At the moment, it is not known if the suspect and the victim were known to each other.
William Aubry, the police department’s chief of Manhattan detectives has confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
Officers have asked for CCTV footage from the station, which they are now reviewing.
They hope video footage, along with interviews with witnesses, will help them to discover what the motive for the fatal attack was.
Joseph Fox, chief of transit for the New York City Police Department said: “What happened here today is tragic.”
It is understood that there may have been two other women involved in the incident at the station, and officers will be trying to determine if that was the case by looking at CCTV.
The alleged assailant was led away by a large number of police officers.
According to those on the station at the time, around 20 officers attended the scene.
One witness said: “About five minutes ago, 20 police officers escorted her out. Her head was up – kinda proud of what she did.”
Another witness posted on social media that she had seen the woman led away from the station, and that she looked like she didn’t “give a damn” about what she had allegedly done.