Murder probe launched after cyclist died after being knocked from bike


Police have launched a murder investigation after a cyclist died in hospital after being knocked of his bike.
Eamonn Anderson, 56, fought for life in hospital for two weeks, but has now succumbed to his injuries.
He suffered serious head injuries when he was knocked from his bike and attacked on Oxford High Street by a gang of six men. It is believed that one of the men kicked his bike, causing him to fall.
Horrified passers-by called 999 and Mr Anderson was bluelighted to hospital, but has now died two weeks later.
The group of men left the scene of the accident, which took place at around 11.30pm.
A post mortem investigation is set to take place to establish cause of death.
Detective Chief Inspector Mike Lynch, of Thames Valley Police’s major crime unit, described the assault as a “violent attack”.
He added that it “initially left the victim with serious head injuries, and has now tragically led to his death.”
Police said they fully believed this was an isolated incident, adding: “Since it occurred, we have been in the process of conducting a thorough investigation into it in order to establish the circumstances and also to arrest those responsible.”
It is not clear whether his past has any links with the attack, but Mr Anderson had spent 24 years in prison for armed robberies and firearms offences.
He became infamous after stealing a ring which had belonged to the writer Oscar Wilde.
A self-confessed career criminal, he threatened to sue police when he was cleared of a robbery carried out at knifepoint.
Mr Anderson had been charged with one count of attempted robbery and one count of possessing an offensive weapon. After serving 24 years in jail, Mr Anderson was arrested again when police believed he had broken into a store and tried to break into its till and safe.
However, during a trial at Oxford Crown Court, Mr Anderson said he would never have made such amateur mistakes. He said whoever really carried out the robbery “didn’t have a clue”.
Having grown up in Brixton, South London, Mr Anderson went on to spend a large part of his life in jail. After a jury found him not guilty of the attempted robbery, he said he was going to go back to college to study law.